Have you seen this article? Hilarious. She lays out the seven deadly trends in naming babies. I know at least one human under the age of 10 whose parents have committed each one of these sins. I’m not saying this is the Be All End All of baby naming. But I am saying this is pretty stinking funny.
1. The MICK Clan. This one is offensive. It has made one of my all time favorite names rendered unusable. Because people are naming their children everything from McKenzie to McNailpolish, M names have become increasingly popular. Read: Madeline. Favorite name of my childhood. No longer an option.
2. Surname Names. Not the worst of all the sins, actually kind of acceptable. I’m not going to set out to name my child Smith, for the obvious (Sex and the City) reasons, but I could see some people doing this with no silent mocking in my mind.
3. Advent of Aiden. If you know me and my baby naming opinions, you know this is unacceptable. Just don’t do it.
4. Hella Ella. Another unacceptable. Don’t get me wrong, Isabel and Sophie used to be very agreeable, but hello. I’m not Italian, French, or any other nationality in which these names originated. And how many people do you know who are named Bella? or Ella? We’re talking people under 3 feet here people. I can count at least 1 million that I personally know. So no more Sophie, in fear that she will be called Sophia.
5. K Kraze. We all love us some Kourtney, Kimberly, Khloe, Kendall, and Kylie. So I can see why this trend is so trendy. But it’s getting out of hand. I’m waiting for my brother to start going by Kharlie.
6. Substytutes. Algebra lesson. Y is not equal to I. Never, never, never. Nor does, as the author states, substituting a Y for an I, a unique name make.
7. Geography 101. Savannah, London, Brooklyn, and Asia. Places. Not people. Though, as long as you stay away from naming your little one after the place of conception, not the worst.
What do you think? Is this too harsh? Just right? Dying to know our baby names? You’ll have to wait – but you can bet we won’t be committing any of these sins.